So, your sweet baby is turning ONE soon! Many of my clients love to do a cake smash session in my Windsor, CO studio for their child’s first birthday portrait session. These are some of my favorite sessions to create for my families because it’s really a celebration for everyone. Your baby is turning one, and you’ve now been a family for a year.
Here is what to expect during your cake smash session and how I make it as stress-free as possible for my families.
Planning Your Cake Smash Session
When it comes to planning your child’s cake smash session, you just need to answer a few questions for me, and then I take it from there!
1.) Make Sure We Like Cake - I need to know if your little one has any food allergies. I highly recommend that your baby tries a little cake before the day of the session. I know that part of the fun is their reaction to a cake, but trust me, letting them try some before is a good thing. They’ll still have a delightful reaction on the day of their session. Hey, we can get creative with the dessert as well. This little sweetie had a donut smash!
2.) Plan the Session - We discuss your theme for the session. What does your child love? What do you envision for the session? There are so many options! I’m happy to provide guidance if you need it or take your idea and run with it.
3.) Ordering the Cake - I handle the cake part for you. My amazing local baker Edible Delights CO, always does a fantastic job with my cakes. I let her know what we discussed, and she handles all of the designing and complimenting of the sets. It’s always a huge hit!
Day of the Cake Smash
Some families like to do their cake smash session a few weeks in advance of their child’s birthday, and some like to do it closer. It’s totally up to you. On the day of the session, you’ll bring your child to the studio, and I’ll have everything else ready. You don’t have to worry about anything! All of the decor, the cake, and the wardrobe will be ready and waiting for you.
You’re welcome to bring your spouse and other children to the session as well. It’s fun to document the entire family’s excitement and capture a portrait of your whole family.
The session truly is a lot of fun documenting your child during this special milestone and capturing their reaction to the cake. Some kids love it, some kids aren’t so sure about it, and some REALLY love it. All reactions are so cute and perfect for photographs.
Cake Smash Sessions | Windsor, CO
Cake smash sessions are some of my favorite sessions because they’re just so special and sweet. I love using my creativity to design your dream cake smash session without you having to lift a finger during the process. If you’re thinking about a cake smash session for your little one, please send me a message here. I’d love to be your cake smash photographer.
As a mom of three, I can confidently say that it’s really true what they say… our children grow up right before our eyes. My youngest will be starting preschool this fall. I can’t even believe it. So many families reach out to me to take their photos because they realize how quickly the time is going with their children. Some clients wonder when it’s the best time to take family photos.
If you’re on the fence about when you should schedule your family photo session, I offer you five reasons to schedule them now below.
5 Reasons to Schedule Your Family Photo Session Now
1. Beat the Fall Rush - Lots of families think about taking photos in the fall. It’s a new school year, the holidays are coming, and you need an official family portrait for the Christmas card. However, taking your family portrait in summer or even spring can be perfect for your family. Fall tends to get really busy with school, sports, and everything in between. Summer tends to be more relaxed for families. Plus, you’ll be able to beat the fall portrait rush.
2. Photos with Your Children - As moms, we are the memory-keepers of the family. We are the ones dutifully taking photos, writing in their baby scrapbooks, and managing our families. What’s missing from all the photos you take of your children? You! You are missing from the images. Professional family photos ensure that you are in the photos with your children. They will treasure these images forever.
3. Portraits are on the Wall Sooner - Maybe you have a blank wall where you dream of hanging a family portrait. Maybe you want a family gallery wall but don’t know where to start. My full-service family photography process takes care of everything from start to finish, including designing, printing, and displaying your family portraits. The sooner we schedule your family portrait session, the sooner your dream portraits are on the walls!
4. Studio Portraits - We truly can’t depend on the Colorado weather. Yes, we live in a beautiful area, but things happen. You can feel confident scheduling your studio family photo session because we won’t need to reschedule due to the weather. We can find the perfect time for your busy family without worrying about the weather!
5. Don’t Wait Until… - There are so many reasons to wait for family photos. You might want to wait until your child’s braces come off, your schedule calms down, you lose those last 5lbs, etc. My advice is not to wait. Your family is absolutely perfect, just the way they are right now. You’ll never regret taking family photos. Your children think you’re perfect now. They’ll never look back on portraits and think you should have lost 5lbs; they’ll just treasure the photo with their mom. And you’ll love the photo of your child in braces. It’ll freezeframe this sweet moment for you to look back on over the years.
Windsor, CO Studio Family Photographer
As a mom and studio photographer in Windsor, CO, I know how busy it gets with your family. But I also know how important these portraits are for your family. My full-service family photography process takes all the planning and stress off your plate so you can actually enjoy your portrait experience and end up with family portrait artwork you’ll absolutely love. If you have any questions or wish to schedule a call with me, please send me a message here.
Amber Sullivan- Northern Colorado Photographer
This website uses marketing and tracking technologies. Opting out of this will opt you out of all cookies, except for those needed to run the website. Note that some products may not work as well without tracking cookies.Opt Out of Cookies